Sunday, July 12, 2009

Autumn Calling


I have decided that I am ready for autumn. The 4th of July is over, so there is really no reason to continue the oppressive summer heat. I have never been a "Dog Days of Summer" kinda person. Bring on the changing leaves, the brisk winds, the array of sweaters and jackets. (The kids starting back to school is an added bonus!)

There is something about the nip in the air, the sound of the school band practicing on the field in the early morning, and the smell of smoke billowing from fireplaces that makes me want to fill the pantry to the brim, to start bake with abandon (particularly anything in which I can include "pumpkin" as an ingredient), and to sort out the "winter clothes" and pack away the shorts.

Unfortunately, this mood has come particularly early this year. Yesterday I baked two dozen blueberry muffins, and two loaves of zucchini bread. And this morning I have already made a batch of homemade buttermilk biscuits.

But, for now, I am trying to pacify myself with merely planning for autumn. I am already collecting every pumpkin based recipe I can find. I am contemplating what the kids might like to be for Halloween. And I am trying hard not to "wish" the summer away. After all, there is still plenty of berries with which to cook and bake. Oh, and the peaches! The Porter Peach Festival is next weekend...

Maybe I can hold off a bit longer.

No comments: