Wednesday, July 29, 2009

OCD and Pancakes


I have been on a bit of an organizing craze lately. It started with my wanting to move the sofa, which led to all of the contents of the living room being shuffled around and rearranged. The next day (literally, the very next day), the bedroom needed to be rearranged (for some reason the computer desk had started to annoy me in its then-present location--made me feel rather claustrophobic for some reason...). Once that was satisfactorily rearranged, the baking cabinet soon fell victim to my organization mania, followed by the Tupperware cabinet, then the top of the refrigerator.

I am not sure if it is because school will be back in session soon--which, of course, heralds the coming of fall...and I have always been more serious about fall cleaning than spring cleaning. I mean really, one simply must do fall cleaning, otherwise you are stuck in an enclosed space for months on end, possibly even snowed or iced in at times, so it only makes sense to get your surroundings as tidy and enjoyable as possible beforehand. In the spring, no one wants to be cooped up inside, so what does it matter in the grand scheme of things if there is a dust bunny under the bed? It's not like the thing has you cornered in your room. In fact, you are probably outside planting something in the yard, happily oblivious to the fuzzy little ball of dust. If you are stupid enough to paw around looking for dirt, it serves you right to have to spend a perfectly lovely spring day cleaning...

But I digress...so, anyway, I am not really sure what, exactly, is prompting my latest cleaning rampage, but the need to clean and organize has caused me to inflicted my sickness upon those closest to me. My husband recently spent an afternoon sorting through all the papers on our computer desk, and just this evening I had my dear friend over, and we made two double batches of pancakes (pumpkin pancakes and wheat pancakes, thank you very much) and put them in zippy bags to put in the freezer, so that the kiddos could have hot pancakes in the morning, should they so desire, at any time in the foreseeable future. (Something other than the frozen store bought variety, which has the nutritional value of a hockey puck, and tastes only slightly more appetizing, and that is just because it has maple syrup on it.)

I have no idea how this disease will manifest itself. I have been wanting to sort through all the kids' clothes before school starts, and I have contemplated cutting the surplus herbs in the garden to dry them before fall, oh, and I could clean out the van...

They say the first step is to admit that you have a problem, but I think I will wait until I get a few more things done. It would be a shame to let all this motivation go to waste.

1 comment:

A. K. Francis said...

I believe there are support groups you could join for this problem. I'd be happy to look some up for you. But first, would you mind coming over to my house? My closets need help and I'm SURE the spice cabinet could stand to be gone through...