Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Too Hungry to Even Think of a Title

So...vegan it is.  I met with the immunologist on Monday, and she confirmed all my food allergies:  milk, egg, beef, pork, chicken, walnuts, pecans, sunflower seeds, buckwheat, garlic, and pineapple.  And let's not forget the enviromental, sycamore, oak, maple, cedar, and many more trees, eight kinds of mold, various grasses, including one called Timothy, and ragweed and sage, and dustmites, dogs, cats, and birds.  But apparently I can go roll around naked in the Bermuda grass, because it is about the only thing I am NOT allergic to.

So I am currently going through a period of adjustment.  It varies from trying to educate myself and be very pragmatic about the whole thing, then ten minutes later I am ticked off and hungry and not coping very well.  Right now I am on day three of the cranky-hungries.  (Or, for you Harry Potter fans out there, I am feeling rather "Ron Book Seven.")

If you have any good vegan cookbooks you can recommend, favorite vegan products, or if you just want to leave a comment of encouragement, I would be thrilled if you would take a moment...  Food is such a social aspect in our life that having to eat such a restrictive diet is making me feel a bit isolated.

However, in the interest of being a "cup half full" kinda gal (even when my stomach is half empty), at least all this STILL makes for a better day than my kitty Sirius will be having come Monday...

 
...when he finally gets neutered.  (He doesn't know yet.)  I may have to forgo a whole pile of foods that I really love but, hey, at least I still have all the same girl parts as I came into the world with...I call that a win!

You may have noticed that I do actually have cats (despite said cat allergy).  To that, I reply...could you resist this?

Nope, neither could I.  So, we are looking at Rapid Allergy Desensitization, which is basically a fancy way of saying that I need to take off work, get allergy injections all day long at regular intervals while they watch to make sure I don't keel over, and then after said Day of Hell, I "get" to take shots every week for a couple of months, then bi-monthly, and then finally monthly (for about 3-5 years).  If anyone has done this, or knows someone who has, please let me know your experience with the procedure.

In the meantime, I am heading off to bed to read Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin (but I will probably fall asleep as soon as I slide in bed...I gave up caffeine as well this week).  I am already so tired that my eyes hurt, and I have resigned myself to fixing any typos tomorrow...

4 comments:

tinsenpup said...

This is the hard bit, especially if you're a foodie type. And it does continue to be isolating... BUT - you will forge for yourself a whole new cuisine. It will feature ingredients that you haven't even heard of yet and there will probably come a point where it will actually be kind of exciting. Hell, I invented chia-mallows yesterday.

I do think you're probably going to have to give up eating kittens though. Sorry. :)

Kristen said...

We can call each other. We can be a support group together. I joined Weight Watchers tonight.
In all seriousness - I'm sorry about all those allergies. I know you thought there might be a few - but what a freaking blow to have so many. You know I'm around if you want to blow off some steam.

Awn said...

Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World is an amazing cookbook - and the chocolate cupcakes are to die for...and I'm nowhere near a vegan. I hope they help take the edge off the hunger!

Unknown said...

I am so overwhelmed by everyone's generous responses. I really, really am!

Awn - I will definitely check out that cookbook, I can use all the help I can get!

Kristen - I will totally take you up on that! I could not believe how many there were, either! Definitely, we are in this together! Strength in numbers!

Tinsenpup - chia marshmallows? Now I am intrigued. I am feeling a bit better about it today. Let's hope this attitude can stick around a while!

Thank you all so much. I opened this today and saw comments, and I was so excited, and grateful!